Thursday, March 6, 2014

V-Day Trip Part III - Brussels for the Day!!!

Mark & I for some reason are ALL about the northwest area of Europe - especially Belgium. February was our second time in Belgium in a matter of 6 months. Yes, it's right next door to the Netherlands so it's super easy to get there, but ever since our trip in August, we are obsessed!!! And I love that you go a handful of miles and hear Dutch, German, and French, all in the same country. I think I'm biased towards French here because all of the people of Brussels told me my 'bonjour' sounds very authentic :D 

After Germany for the day, we spent ONE more day in Luxembourg before we headed back on a 3 hour train ride over to Belgium. Bruges was the ultimate destination, but you have to switch trains in Brussels to catch a commuter train (like the Chicago Metra) to get there. Since we only had the chance to spend 3 days in Brussels in August, and we wanted to see all of the places we had been before, we locked up our luggage in the train station and went out into the city. LOVE THIS PLACE!

Us in Brussels in August, on top of the Atomium

We went first to the Grand Place, in the center of the old part of the city. It's this giant square with these amazing buildings bordering it - it's one of the most picturesque sights I've ever seen:


I mean, come on.

We had eaten dinner here our last night in Brussels on our August trip, so we decided to go to the exact same restaurant to reminisce!!

 La Brouette ... We sat on this bench right in front of the restaurant last time! This time, TOO COLD brrrr.

And, just spent the rest of the day enjoying everything. There honestly isn't much to say about Brussels, besides the fact that it's just the perfect place to wander around. If I complete my dream of becoming entirely fluent in French, plus semi-fluent in Dutch, I would move here in the far future. Hands down.

Massive 'outdoor hallways' lined with shops in Brussels.

Best Friends for 19 years turned BF/GF, thanks to Europe!! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment